Did you know that the Snow leopard exists in 12 countries only. Follow the snow leopard through to its hidden trails in the trans-Himalayan region. Over the 14 days tour, you will discover the wilderness and the wildlife of the Himalayas. Aside from the Snow Leopard this is also the right time to spot rare Himalayan wildlife-Siberian Ibex, Blue Sheep,Tibetan Wolf, Red fox, Lammergeyer, Golden Eagle, Tibetan Snowcock, etc. Live the adventure in the high-valleys of Spiti on this odyssey.
Note: We encourage responsible tourism. Practice these guidelines while on a trip!
Age18 to 65 years
Able walk 3-5 km , Individuals with Asthma should notify Ecohunters before enrolling
Who is this tour for?
Snow Leopards are one of the rarest species that exist on our planet. They inhabit the trans-himalayan landscape and are referred to as “The Grey Ghost” by the local community. The Snow leopard descends from 5000 mts to 4000 mts during winters in search of prey making this the best time to spot them. Aside from spotting the snow leopard and other rare Himalayan wild life among breathtaking landscapes , this tour also gives you an insight in to the life style and culture of the mountain folk. Guided by some of the most experienced naturalists and Snow Leopard trackers who have worked with BBC, Nat Geo, ICON Films in the past. Overall this tour promises to be the experience of a life time
- Spotting one of the most elusive cats known as the Grey Ghost, in its prime habitat in Hemis National Park, known as the 'Snow Leopard capital of the world'.
- Opportunity to stay in Homestays and experience the local lifestyle.
- Swarovski and Zeiss Scopes used by guides to maximize chances.
- Monastic festivals and winter resident birds.
- Guided by some of the most experienced naturalists and Snow Leopard trackers who have worked with BBC, Nat Geo, ICON Films in the past.
13N/ 14DDeparture: Fixed
You will be doing:
You will be experiencing:
Our team meets you at the Shimla airport on arrival. We transfer to the boarding vehicles and drive to Indo-Tibet highway to Reckongpeo and Kalpa. Kalpa offers amazing views of the snow-clad Kinner Kailash range. We rest for the night in Kalpa.
Today we leave for the village of Maney. We set out from Kalpa in the morning, and drive upstream alongside the Sutlej river, until Khab. We ascend to Nala and Mulling and descend down to the banks of the Spiti river as we continue along the winding roads until Maney.
After a heart breakfast, we set out in search of the Tibetan wolf. This region is perfect to spot these beasts.
We return to our homestay by dusk.
Today, we leave behind Maney as we drive towards the Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary, our home for the next week.
Kibber was once the highest village with a motorable road. It's the ideal spot to get a glimpse, up close, of the elusive snow leopard. Blue sheep and the Siberian Ibex are other common sightings.
Travel notes of the day
Get your cameras out and clicking. Photograph the natural beauty of the region with its diverse flora and fauna and picturesque landscapes!
We spend the next week in search of wildlife in Spiti.
We set out post breakfast, with our packed lunches, with the mission of spotting Snow leopards (and other fauna).
The evenings call for some interactions and exchanges with the local families living in the neighbourhood. Discover the culture and way of life of the locals.
After a week's adventure braving the winters of Spiti, we journey back to Kalpa with scenic views of the Kinner Kailash mountains - the abode of Lord Shiva.
We spend the night in Kalpa.
Travel notes of the day
You can walk the streets of Shimla and get in some last-minute shopping and sightseeing!
Here are some recommended places to visit -
- Lakkar Bazaar - Shop for some artefacts, souvenirs, winter wear as you stroll through the lanes of this bazaar.
- Mall road - Bustling with life, this road is filled with markets, cafes, restaurants, emporiums, and more.
Today, we retrace our steps and head back to Shimla. After we check into the hotel, the rest of the day is at our leisure.
This is the last night of our expedition. Rest well!
Travel notes of the day
Bid adieu to gorgeous Himachal as you leave with unforgettable memories and experiences of a lifetime.
Our team will drop you off at the Shimla airport for your onward journey. Safe flight!
- All transfers as per the itinerary (SHIMLA AIRPORT – SHIMLA AIRPORT)
- Accommodation On Twin Sharing Basis in Hotel/Homestay
- All Meals as detailed in the Itinerary
- Peak fee/Sanctuary fee/Royalty/ Permits Wherever applicable
- Safe Drinking Water
- WILD LIFE TEAM–Guide/Spotters/ Porters/ Mules
- All taxes
- All Airfare
- Any Transfers Outside the Itinerary/Bottled Water
- Items Of Personal Clothing
- Expenses of personal nature (LAUNDRY/PHONE etc) Calls/Alcohol/Cigarettes/Insurance/Cigarette/Camera fees/ETC.)
- Cost incurred due to change in itinerary due to bad weather, Road Blocks etc.
or factors beyond our control
- Travel & Cancellation Insurance
- Tips and Gratuities (We suggest 5-10% of your trip cost – to be distributed among the team) -Optional
- This is a all inclusive trip for adventure and wildlife enthusiast
- This trip contains short, steep jungle treks
- This is a guided tour with a wildlife teams , spotters , accompanying you till the completion of the trip
- Please carry Govt. ID’s
You may also like
Shadowing the Saryu Valley is the breathtaking Pindar Valley whose river draws its life from the mammoth Pindari glacier, close to Tibet with astounding views of unending himalayas and its valleys .
A Himalayan trek with stunning views for the books! Make your way through conifers and flowers, villages and rivers on this epic trek through the snowy mountains and meadows of Uttarakhand.
Witness the the high pass of Khardung-La, the sand dunes of Hunder in Nubra valley and the hot springs of Panamik. While at it enjoy wine and cheese under the stars ,experience the finest of Leh