Recently Hon. Governor of Arunachal-Pradesh @PB Acharya said “Indians know more about the US than the North East of India. He made a valid point. Very few of us know about the North East. Here are some surprising facts we should know about the North East.
- There are Eight States in North East: Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura, Sikkim and Nagaland.
- There are nearly 220 languages spoken in the North East. It is a mix of Tibetan, South East Asian and East Indian cultures.
- North East is the only part of India the Mughal empire could not conquer.
- The Ahom dynasty which ruled the North East for 600 years is the longest unbroken dynasty in Indian history
- The World’s largest river island , The Majuli and the Worlds smallest river island, Umananda, both are in the North East.
- Seven prominent national parks of India are located in the North East.
- Shillong is considered as the rock capital of India
- Mawsynram in Meghalaya holds the guiness Worls Record for the wettest place on Earth.
- Sualkuchi in Assam is one of the worlds largest weaving villages whee the entire population is engaged in weaving silk fabrics
- Mugs, the golden silk of Assam is not produced anywhere else in the World.
- 70% of the country’s orchids are found in North East
- Mizoram and Tripura are states with the highest literacy rate in India.
- North East and its villages are the cleanest region in India.
- There is no dowry system in North East.
And there's more but hopefully this should be enbough to indpire you to pack those bags and head out for a unforgettable getaway. Do check out #ecohunters exclusive adventure and leisure itineraries to the North East
Uncover architectural and archaeological marvels of India
A four day, full certification,open water diving course .Earn an entry-level scuba diving certificate that allows you to dive up to 18 m without professional supervision, anywhere around the world.